Friday, July 06, 2007

Book(Tag)ed..

I was Bookied by Sandhya. that didn't sound right..L), I was BookTagged. (/also thanks too http://aprilslady.blogspot.com/)

First, I must admit Iam not even close to bookworm. My childhood friends would be surprised to know that I developed reading habits. I cannot even call it habit, since Iam irregular and I read those that pass by my eyes/ears. for me, Its mental fight to finish big book(anything more than 500pages).

and I cannot possible mention all but those few which cross mind while posting this. meaning those which I read recently or blog about has weightage..9)). News articles, Magazines, Internet read, Gandhi's books, Comics which I loved are not in list(below) but something that's very dear to me.

But ofcourse its very best honest attempt to list down my book interest.

Books that Changed my Life:-- largely I will credit experience rather than books for any changes. Having side that, books which had influence on me:
a Long way gone: Memoir of Boy Solider
Chasing the Good Life
my Temporary Son by Timeri Murari
Ayn Rand-- For New Intellectual and some more from same author
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Lufficer Effect by Philip Zimbardo
Paradox of Choice: why more is less by Barry Schwartz

Books that I’ve read more than once:-- reading once is good for me. more than once means those had to be very good or may be I didn't understand the first time (mostly the later):
Swami and Friends by R.K. Narayan (OK, don't we all love this book!)
1984 by George Orwell
The Republic by Plato (I had to re-read to understand better)

Books I’d take onto a desert island:
Love in Time of Cholera by Garcia Marquez
The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh

Books that made me laugh:
The Inscrutable American by Anurag Mathur
Five point someone by Chetan Bhagat

Books that made me cry:
a Long way gone: Memoir of Boy Solider
my Temporary Son by Timeri Murari
Family Matters by Robinton Mistry
The Green Mile by Stephen King
Fine Balance by Robinton Mistry (/although I wouldn't like to market this book..))

Books I wish had been written by me:-- I cannot dare to wish that but at gun point my answer would be:
A Equal Music
(Un)Arranged Marriage by Bali Rai

Books I'm currently reading:-- kinda of just finished thou
The Argumentative Indian by Amartya Sen,
Collapse by Jared Diamond,

Books I’ve been meaning to read:
River Valley to Silicon Valley by Abhay. K (book title and recent interaction with the author.. made this to my to-be-read-soon booklist)
Maximum city: Bombay lost and found by Suketu Mehta
Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler

Books that have fascinated me endlessly-- mostly fascinated that someone can think on those lines, which is far beyond imagination.:
Harry Potter series
1984 by George Orwell
Contact by Carl sagan
Runaway Jury by John Grisam (most of from this author..)
Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov

Books I’ve tried to read in vain:-- but haven't given up yet...
Stephen Hawking's-- too heavy and technical. need load of contraction and re-reads.
Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler (still will try again)
Freakonomics (still will try again)

Books I’d love to own-- with my history of relocation(s) and another one coming soon, I live out of 2suitcases. I dont have luxury of collecting books & DVDs now. may be in future when I return to my home-home, I would love to own a Library..;-7)

2 comments:

Priya said...

Thanks for sharing all this here Yuva. I have started reading and making it a habit.. well never too late thou'.

A said...

I've not read any of those books except the one; I'd have to come to visit your blog to chose a book when I think of starting a new book. Thanks for sharing with us.